Of course, as soon as I publish the previous article about all of the issues with the Epic 4G, Sprint pops the cap on the rumored update that was supposed to happen today.
It looks like it's official, and it's not just fixing the upload speeds on 3G. It also fixes an issue with Wi-Fi causing battery drain.
The full release notes are included after the jump.
9/30 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release
WiFi standby battery drain
Amazon MP3 cannot download in 4G
Large emails lag in upload speeds
Increased 3G upload speeds
Update your software
1. The software will be automatically downloaded to your phone since this is a recommended update.
2. A System update screen will prompt the user to 'Install now' or 'Install later'.
If 'Install later' is selected, a reminder will be sent once or twice a day to install the update.
If 'Install now' is selected, the phone will power down and then reboot.
- This update will take approximately 7-8 minutes to download and 7-8 minutes to install.
- The new software version is: S:D700.0.5S.DI18
- This update is available OTA (over the air) and will be pushed to your device. It is being pushed in stages, beginning on 9/30 12:00AM EST, and will be rolled out to users over several days.
- Your device must be on software version DI07 to perform the update to DI18. If you are still on DG17 or DG27, a Sprint Service and Repair Center should be able to update your device to DI07. The update from DI07 to DI18 is not yet available to the Service and Repair Centers. As soon as it is, this post will be updated.
One thing to be aware of though. According to the post on their support forums yesterday, this update would be rolled out over a period of 4 days, so not all users would get it immediately.
I just checked from our Epic 4G here, and it indicated that there are no updates available, so it doesn't appear that you will manually be able to request the patch.
Also, if you are rooted, we're not sure yet what impact this update will have on it.
Let us know in the comment section below if you've received it, and whether you have seen any noticeable differences.