It's a rainy Friday morning here at Robot Briefs HQ so what better way to spend it than coming up with a quick list of free apps that I love. This week we've got a couple of great games, a bandwidth tester, full screen radar, and an awesome file manager. So step inside for this week's Free App Friday.
Stardunk is an extremely well done game that involves shooting a ball around (literally around) a planet and into a basket from randomly placed positions. The premise is deceptively simple. Extra points are given for getting the elusive "nothing but net" shot. In addition there's an awesome multiplayer mode that allows you to unlock new balls or create your own with custom properties. This great game is an awesome time waster as you will quickly find yourself just wanting to play "one more round" to see if you can beat the high score.
With the proliferation of "high speed" 4G service around the country, you may be wondering "am I really getting the download speeds they say I should?" Well wonder no more. Speedtest.net Mobile is the mobile version of the extraordinarily popular Speedtest.net bandwidth testing website. With this simple application, you can quickly measure both your download and upload link anytime, anywhere. This great looking, and easy-to-use app finds the closest server to your location and then graphically shows you how your throughput is looking. For the price of free, definitely worth having around.
As a kid, I used to absolutely love playing Battleship. As an adult, I still enjoy a round of it with my kids from time to time. Now we can take it with us anywhere, without worrying about losing those darn little pegs. Naval Clash is a semi-faithful recreation of the classic game. You can play single player against your phone, or you it even has an online multiplayer mode, as well as two-player over a bluetooth connection. The charm in Naval Clash are the hand drawn looking graphics. So the next time you feel the urge to shout "Hey, you sunk my battleship", have a look at this game to relive the fun.
Rainy Days is a full screen radar app that finds your location via GPS and then zooms in to show you the current weather situation. It's not a fancy weather app, but it's nice to be able to view current precipitation in a full screen format. Rainy days shows you weather radar doppler images from buienradar, meteox, vaderradar, eumetsat and nws using Google Maps. You can zoom in and pan all you like!
Coverage: Europe, Scandinavia, USA, Hawaii & Puerto Rico, Africa
File Expert is now my go-to file manager for the Andorid OS. Aside from all of the standard file functions, such as copy/paste, etc., File Expert supports many advanced functions as well:
- FTP/HTTP Server - Share & Manage your files without a USB cable, just like with Web Sharing or WIFI File Explorer, but we do even more because we can provide both Web & FTP transferring support.
- Root access to system folders and files like Root Explorer. Remount those locations to read write. Requires rooted phone to function.
- SMB Client - Access your home computer from your phone, using your phone to manage your PC via WIFI with SMB
- App Manager - Uninstall/Backup apps. We know that many apps on the market can do this, but none can do this work silently. We're the ONLY app that can install and uninstall apps silently, which makes your batch process faster and cooler. Silent capabilities require a rooted phone to function.
- Archive manager - Create and decompress ZIP archive, Decompress RAR archive. You can view your ZIP/RAR file just like accessing a folder and directly decompress unique files and folders from those archive
- Thumbnails - supports jpg/png/mp3/mp4/3gp thumbnails
- Image Viewer - supports both local and remote folder, we will support gesture detection and multi-touch zooming in the future release